B-1/B-2 visa to F-2 visa

I came to US by b1/b2 visa, now I want to change it to f2. My wife (we got married 4 months ago, when i came to the states) is studying here. We have a baby whom was born here 3 months ago. Now I can't go back to my mother land to get a visa, because my wife doesn't have a visa but just valid I-20 form. Do you think I should apply for a status change here or should we go to Canada to get visas? What is more safe for us?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

There are several issues here that should require you consult with a lawyer. For instance, USCIS does not like it when people enter USA on a short-term visa and get married or try converting to a long term status (like F-2).

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on immigration.com

Add new comment