Jump to:

Family Based GC News

Printer-friendly version

Help Needed

I have my I-485 denied for unauthorized employment. When I applied for the I-485 I was still employed. The I-485 took longer than expected time. During that time, I left my job to become a full time student on a fellowship and I did not renew my EAD. The USCIS said that I was engaged in unauthorized employment and thus I am not eligible to adjust status in the US. Currently I am on TPS (Sudan). I want to apply for I-130 through my sister who is a US citizen and concurrently I can file i-485 but I heard that there is a bar for me to apply for i-485 in the country for ten years? Is that correct?

Help Needed

Please get together with your lawyers. From your description it does not appear you have the ten-year bar. Applying through your sister takes 10 plus years to get to the I-485 stage. You need to explore the possibilities.

Note: Not intended to create attorney-client relationship.  Answers could be incomplete, incorrect or outdated.  Use caution.

Nonimmigrant Visas
Green Cards
Common Topics