Jump to:

Work Visa Overview

Printer-friendly version

A temporary worker visa is a nonimmigrant visa for individuals who wish to work temporarily in the United States.  There are several categories ("classifications") of temporary worker visas.  Some of these classifications have annual limits. The applicant’s qualifications, type of work to be performed, and other factors determine what type of visa is required under U.S. immigration law.   

Below is a summary of these visas.  For more information on any of them, click on the visa title or on the menu to the left.

Note that the “A” Visa, G Visa, and NATO Visa are similar diplomatic visas.  The “A” Visa applies to diplomats and foreign government officials, and their assistants; the G Visa applies to national representatives to international organizations; the NATO Visa applies to NATO representatives, staff, and families.  Anyone in the diplomatic field may wish to review the descriptions for all three of these visas.

A Visa—diplommats, foreign government officials, and their assistants

C Visa (Transitt Visa)—individuals whose travel takes them through the U.S., without actually entering the U.S. 

D Visa (Crewman VVisa)—individuals serving on board a vessel or aircraft

E Visa—treaty tradeers, treaty investors, and certain “specialty occupation" professionals from Australia

G Visa—national represeentatives to international organizations, like the United Nations

H-1B Visa—individuals with bbachelor's or higher degrees in the specific specialty to work in "specialty occupations"

H-2A Visa—temporary agriculturral workers for jobs for which qualified U.S. workers are unavailable 

H-2B Visa—temporary nonagricultuural workers for jobs for which qualified U.S. workers are unavailable

H-3 Visa—individuals seeking non--medical education and non-graduate training not available in their country and individuals participating in a special education exchange program

I Visa (Journalists/Media Visa)—rrepresentatives of the foreign media traveling to the U.S. for their profession

J Visa (Exchange Visitors)—participaants in exchange visitor programs in the U.S. through a designated sponsoring organization

L-1 Visa (Intra-Company Transferee Visaa)—employees whose multi-national company employers seek their services in the U.S.

NATO Visa—certain representatives and stafff of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) member countries

O Visa—individuals with extraordinary abiility in science, education, business, or athletics, and their assistants

P Visa—internationally recognized and cultuurally unique entertainers and athletes

Q-1 Visa—participants in U.S. government-approvved international cultural exchange programs

R-1 Visa—ministers and religious workers

<TN Visa—Canadian and Mexican nationals with the neecessary North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) professional qualification credentials

Information about green card

hi . i am humaira. i have done master in physics from punjab university lahore and Mphil in Physics with thesis from Pakistan.I also have a professional education (becholar in education).I have five year teaching experience at government university level.my husband is a computer engineer from UAE and worked in UAE.we have multiple visa of US.but now i am interseted in green card and become permanent residence of US .how i will become?

Information about green card

Most people get an H-1 first and then apply for a green card through an employer. Review the law on H-1 (aka H-1B).

Note: Not intended to create attorney-client relationship.  Answers could be incomplete, incorrect or outdated.  Use caution.

Nonimmigrant Visas
Green Cards
Common Topics